Monday, April 20, 2015

Multiple eggs on a Frame.

Frames with cells with multiple eggs
Brood 
On my routine inspection of the hives I found a frame which had multiple eggs in a number of cells. This is really strange as the queen has been laying well for the last couple of weeks and she is about a year old. This normally happen when you have laying workers or its a new queen and she is still learning, how to lay eggs.

Bees on the Frame
I also noted a couple of bees with K wing over the previous weeks. As a result I have applied MAQ Stripes to all the hives. I want ensure that the varroa mites are are low levels.

Bees from all the hives have now started to produce Drones as well as traditional workers. I have not seen any Queen cells yet, although I found a single play cup which I think is new. It looks like the swarming season will be upon us soon.

The orchard is now alive and murmuring with life. Every thing from bumbles bee's collecting pollen and the cherry trees coming into blossom alone with some of the Pear trees. The Almond trees have almost finished flowering. We are well into spring and Summer is just weeks away. I still have to start cutting the grass and that should start to get underway in the next week or so.

Bumble Bee Collecting Pollen





1 comment:

Diane said...

The photo with multiple eggs is excellent. How did you manage to get such a good photo?